Webseite Paul Scherrer Institut
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Large Research Facilities Division we are looking for a
Design and test of a pre-compression system for Nb-Ti racetrack coils
In the framework of the design and implementation of an infrastructure for the tests of superconducting magnets for the upgrade of the Swiss Light Source SLS, we aim at developing a mock-up for a pre-compression system. The tool will be composed of a compression ring and two symmetric pads around a racetrack coil.
A numerical model was already done but needs to be benchmarked. The objectives of the student will be to:
- Understand the requirements for a pre-compression system for superconducting racetrack coils based on Nb-Ti
- Perform an experiment at liquid nitrogen temperature to estimate the coil deformations during cool down from room temperature to 77 K
The main tasks related to the aforementioned items are:
- Selection of the best material for the pre-compression system
- Perform a numerical investigation of the pre-compression system
- Define the number and the locations where to install the strain-gauges
- Define the measurement procedure
- Perform the experiment in liquid nitrogen
- You are an engineering or physics student (minimum 4 semesters)
- Knowledge in mechanical design, simulation software for static and dynamic mechanical assemblies, and mechanical CADs
- You are open-minded, communicative and enjoy working in an international team
- You have not yet completed your Master’s thesis
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration.
The contract will be limited to 3 – 4 months.
For further information, please contact Dr Ciro Calzolaio, phone +41 56 310 26 45.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Trainee (index no. 8431-T2).
Paul Scherrer Institut
Human Resources Management
5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland
Um sich für diesen Job zu bewerben, besuche bitte www.psi.ch.